Cantigas Women's Choir makes its international debut in Argentina
County’s Cantigas Women’s Choir will make its international debut in Buenos
Aires, Argentina, with two major concerts during a week-long visit to the South
American capital. With 30 singers from the area (including residents of Jersey
City, Hoboken, Weehawken and New York City) ranging in age from 18 to 70, the
group will perform a solo concert at Primera Iglesia Metodista de
Buenos Aires at 7:30 PM on July 5, and will participate in a choral festival with
some of Argentina’s most prestigious choirs at the Iglesia San Carlos at 8 PM on
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Neil F. Brown is the new music director of The Shrewsbury Chorale. (2016-7-26)
- Gregg Smith, who founded the Gregg Smith Singers in 1955 and was a pioneer of professional choral singing, has died at the age of 84. Read his obituary in The New York Times. (2016-7-18)
- The Dessoff Choirs has annnounced its appointment of Malcolm J. Merriweather as its ninth music director. (2016-5-24)
- Libero Canto, a unique way of teaching singing that originated in Europe and has in recent years established a beachhead in New York, will be holding a series of demonstration lessons in June and July to introduce the approach. See the ad in the Info Exchange for details. (2016-5-5)
- New York City conductor Harold Rosenbaum is working on a number of ambitious new projects, including an upcoming concert celebrating the music of acclaimed Puerto Rican-born composer Roberto Sierra. On May 15, Rosenbaum will conduct the premiere of a new arrangement of Sierra's celebrated work, Missa Latina, a boisterous Mass setting infused with Latin rhythms, newly scored by the composer for two pianos and 24 percussion instruments. The premiere will take place at The Kaye Playhouse at Hunter College under the auspices of El Centro, the College's institute for Puerto Rican studies. On Saturday, June 4, Rosenbaum will lead several choirs at Choral Fest USA at Symphony Space, a free marathon event he established to showcase diverse American choirs. He has been actively recording with his professional choir, The New York
Virtuoso Singers, and recently started
his own recording company, Virtuoso Choral Recordings
(virtuosochoralrecordings.com). Its first CD, Choral Music in the 21st Century –
Volume 1: Katherine Hoover, David Lipten and Paul Davies, will be released in early summer by 4Tay Records. (2016-4-30)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- July 18, 2016: New link for Manhattan Holiday Carolers (formerly Definitely Dickens Holiday Carolers), offering premium professional carolers.
- July 14, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the St. John Nepomucene Choir, a volunteer church choir on the Upper East Side.
- July 11, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Ensemble Companio, a traveling chamber choir that performs throughout the northeast.
- June 24, 2016: New listings for the Schola Cantorum of Saint Vincent Ferrer and for the Parish Choir of Saint Vincent Ferrer and Saint Catherine of Siena, both directed by James D. Wetzel.
- May 19, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Jackson Heights Community Chorus.
- May 13, 2016: New link for Amherst Early Music, the largest presenter of Early Music workshops in North America.
- May 11, 2016: You can now filter the listings in the Concert Calendar by locale. Enjoy!
- April 30, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the New Jersey State Children's Chorus, an initiative of the Ars Musica Chorale. New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Mezzo, a contemporary women's a cappella ensemble based in Midtown Manhattan.
- April 28, 2016: New link for Composers Work, a site for new and innovative choral compositions.
- February 27, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Brooklyn Schiller Institute Community Chorus.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach
your group. To arrange for Mark's services, e-mail Colette
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.