Survival and Hope: Melodia Women's Choir’s Autumn Rhapsody concerts
Melodia Women’s Choir of NYC’s "Autumn Rhapsody" concerts on November 19 and
20 highlight a wonderful New York collaboration with the New York Philharmonic and an
even more fascinating backstory. The program includes a version of an
all-female "Largo" from Antonín Dvořák’s (1841-1904) New World Symphony.
Melodia is performing and videotaping it in conjunction with the New York
Philharmonic’s New World Initiative. The Philharmonic is celebrating its 175th year by connecting with select members
of the music community in New York City. "Largo" from Dvořák’s New World Symphony
was premiered by the New York Philharmonic in 1893. As a way of recognizing the
breadth of music-making in New York today, selected groups were asked to
participate by posting an online a recording of their performance of "Largo."
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- The New York Times has a profile of Deke Sharon, one of the forces behird the new a cappella musical In Transit. (2016-11-24)
- The Choir of St. Luke in the Fields has released a new album entitled Pierre de Manchicourt: Missa Reges terrae and other works on the MSR label. For more information and to order a copy, visit www.stlukeinthefields.org/store/product/pierre-de-manchicourt-missa-reges-terrae-cd. (2016-10-4)
- See the New York Times review of David Lang's the public domain, performed at the Mostly Mozart Festival. (2016-8-15)
- Neil F. Brown is the new music director of The Shrewsbury Chorale. (2016-7-26)
- Gregg Smith, who founded the Gregg Smith Singers in 1955 and was a pioneer of professional choral singing, has died at the age of 84. Read his obituary in The New York Times. (2016-7-18)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- November 22, 2016: New link for Galaxy Music Notes, featuring downloads of piano sheet music.
- October 11, 2016: New link for We Love Singing, a site offering tutorials and resources about singing.
- October 4, 2016: New link for National Sawdust. New link for Shalshelet, whose mission is to enhance spirituality and build community through the creation and dissemination of Jewish
- September 23, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the New Jersey-based Woodbridge Community Choir
- September 22, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the RenChorNY, also known as the Renaissance Chorus of New York.
- September 21, 2016: New link for TakeLessons, offering articles, tips, resources and guides for singing students and teachers.
- August 19, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the New York Youth Chamber Choir.
- August 17, 2016: We've done our periodic clean-up of the Links Collection. As always, send corrections and updates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 10, 2016: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Fort Washington Community Choir.
- July 18, 2016: New link for Manhattan Holiday Carolers (formerly Definitely Dickens Holiday Carolers), offering premium professional carolers.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach
your group. To arrange for Mark's services, e-mail Colette
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.