Cantori New York wins fourth Chorus America/ASCAP award
Choral ensemble Cantori New York is proud to be a 2018 recipient of the
Chorus America/ASCAP Award for Adventurous Programming. Artistic Director
Mark Shapiro accepted the award at Chorus America’s annual conference in Chicago
on June 22. ASCAP is the American Society of Composers, Authors and
It’s the fourth time Cantori has been given this honor, which the group
previously earned in 1997, 2000 and 2010. This achievement, unique among
choral organizations in the Eastern United States, attests to the ensemble’s
long-standing commitment to distinctive repertoire, imaginative curation and
groundbreaking collaborations with contemporary composers and performers.
Cantori’s Artistic Director Mark Shapiro said, “Winning this prestigious award
four times over a period spanning more than two decades constitutes an amazing
tribute to the musical community of members and supporters who have taken
Cantori New York into their hearts for over three decades. It has been a
great privilege – and also a lot of fun – to make this exhilarating journey with
Cantori’s evergreen cohort of smart, inquisitive, emotionally engaged musicians
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Jason Tramm has been named Music Director of the Taghkanic Chorale. Tramm becomes the tenth director in the Chorale’s 51-year history, succeeding Steven Fox, who departed after an 11-year tenure with the chorale to become Music Director of the Cathedral Choral Society, Washington, DC. (2018-7-13)
- The Young New Yorkers’ Chorus (YNYC), a nonprofit organization that fosters the art of choral singing and brings new music to life by creating opportunities for young composers, is pleased to announce the appointment of Alex Canovas as its next Artistic Director, effective for the upcoming 2018-2019 season. Canovas is currently the Associate Conductor of the critically-acclaimed vocal ensemble, Choral Chameleon. He will succeed Michael Kerschner, who has led YNYC since 2006. For more details, visit ynyc.org/the-young-new-yorkers-chorus-appoints-alex-canovas-as-its-next-artistic-director. (2018-5-31)
- Choral Chameleon's founder and director Vince Peterson is the 2018 recipient of Chorus America's Louis Botto Award for Innovative Action and Entrepreneurial Zeal. Read more at Chorus America. (2018-4-25)
- The Pro Arte Chorale of Ridgewood, NJ welcomes Bryan Zaros as its new music director, effective July 1. Bryan succeeds Steven Fox, who will become the music director of The Cathedral Choral Society in Washington, DC. (2018-4-24)
- The New York Times has an article about Encore Creativity for Older Adults and its choral programs for people over 55. Encore's New York groups are starting up in March. (2018-2-26)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- July 15, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the North Shore Chamber Choir, based in Setauket.
- April 26, 2018: New checkboxes for the Choir Directory allow you to filter the list by locale and rehearsal night and, for the first time, to find choirs that don't require auditions.
- April 9, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Sing Choruses in Public, a midtown-based chorus specializing in the works of Gilbert & Sullivan.
- March 29, 2018: New link for The Vocal Company, offering services to make your a cappella better.
- March 17, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Trinity Baptist Church Choir on the Upper East Side.
- February 7, 2018: Made a small change to the code on the Concert Calendar so that anchored links from other pages (for example, the calendar listings on the home page) now take you to the correct spot in the calendar. Apologies for past misdirections.
- January 25, 2018: New link for Run by Singers, a UK-based outfit arranging singing holiday weeks and weekends since 2003.
- January 19, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the East End Singers, a self-directed group of eight based in Port Jefferson, NY.
- January 15, 2018: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Encore Chorale. New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Encore Rocks. Both groups, based in Manhattan, are offerings of Encore Creativity for Older Adults and are intended for singers 55 and older.
- November 29, 2017: New link for OPUS Tours, performance tour specialists to more than 40 countries.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, North River Sing, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.