Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Judith Clurman's Essential Voices USA offers two new releases. Words Matter, dedicated to the memory of victims of violence, features works by Stephen Schwartz and Shawn Crouch. Winter Harmonies features Thanksgiving, Christmas and Chanukah selections by Judith Clurman, David Chase, Sheldon Harnick, David Shire and James Sizemore. Stream and download these at essentialvoicesusa.hearnow.com/. (2020-11-30)
- Zoom's September update now includes a high-fidelity audio mode that better supports virtual musical activity. See support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360048388632-New-Updates-for-September-1-2020 and an article about how a Yale-led group of music schools helped bring about this enhancement. (2020-9-11)
- Another New York Times article about the challenges--and joys--of resuming choir activities. (2020-9-6)
- A preprint of research funded by the UK government offers the conclusion that unless you’re singing fortissimo, the difference between singing at a given volume and speaking at the same volume is minimal, which is rather different than what was previously thought. See the preprint (meaning the research has yet to be peer reviewed) at chemrxiv.org. (Thanks to Peter Leigh for this item.) (2020-8-24)
- Love the Psalms? Love Anglican Chant? Watch this YouTube video in which John Cantrell, Organist and Choirmaster at St. Michael's Church on the Upper West Side, talks about his jazz- and roots music-influenced settings for all 150 Psalms--The St. Michael's Psalter. There's also an opportunity to help fund the project if you're inspired to do so. (2020-8-10)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- January 14, 2021: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Newyorkers Chorus, the Poughkeepsie, NY chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society.
- December 16, 2020: Fixed a problem with the home page, Concert Calendar, Info Exchange and Article Archive, wherein the pages were not formatted at all. Thanks to Tina Heidrich for pointing out the issue. If you're still seeing unformatted pages, just hit Refresh on your browser.
- November 27, 2020: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Count Basie Center Gospel Choir.
- November 3, 2020: New link for Stay at Home Choir, which offers opportunities to sing together with musicians from around the world.
- September 17, 2020: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Montclair Early Music.
- July 21, 2020: New link for The Vocal Hub, a UK-based online coaching service hosted by Sofia Maffei.
- June 18, 2020: We've added "Online" as a locale for our Concert Calendar listings, and you can filter the listings to show only "Online" events. We're also happy to accept listings for online events. Use the Concert Calendar New Listing form.
- January 4, 2020: New Choir Directory listing for Transcend Vocal Ensemble, a gender-inclusive treble ensemble based in Manhattan.
- December 19, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for East Flatbush Community Voices.
- December 10, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Oceanaires, a barbershop chorus based in Toms River, NJ.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire or enhance your look on your next Zoom call? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of the following Sustaining Member ensembles for the current season:
Riverside Choral Society
Cantori New York (2020-21)
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers (2020-21)
Nikolai Kachanov Singers
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the past support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Riverside Choral Society, The Stonewall Chorale,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, North River Sing, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.