Melodia offers "Incantations"
allure of the supernatural, the mystery of mysticism, the seduction of the
spiritual. Our human desire to connect to something beyond what can be known, to
extend belief in something larger, to explain the unfathomable is as old as
human time. This autumn season, as the days darken, Melodia Women’s Choir of
NYC, under the direction of Conductor Cynthia Powell, brings audiences
"Incantations," a program that Melodia says, “contemplates life, death and the
realm of the spirit.”
Incantations features two mystical-tinged U.S. premieres, Days and
Moments — Autumn and Winter from English composer Robin Milford (1903-1959)
based on the poetry of Walter de la Mare (1873-1956), and Fairy Day: Three
Idylls for Female Chorus by Irish composer Charles Villiers Stanford
“I have always had a special fascination with the arcane and the
inexplicable, and I love English choral music,” said Artistic Director Cynthia
Powell. “When Melodia found the suite by Robin Milford, who was a student of
Vaughan Williams, and the cantata by Charles V. Stanford describing the world of
fairies and nature spirits, I knew they would be featured in a Melodia concert
someday. That we are performing them for American audiences for the first time
is an added thrill!”
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- October 25, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Boricua College Choir, a community choir based at Boricua College's Manhattan campus.
- October 23, 2019: We've fixed some code on the Choir Auditions page so that alphabetical sorts now work correctly. Groups with "The" in their names had been mistakenly sorted under "T" rather than by the first non-"The" word in their names. We've also adjusted the gold and silver Sustaining Membership indicators in the Choir Directory and on the Choir Auditions page to conform to our new season-based Sustaining Membership policy.
- October 15, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Rockefeller Center Sings, offering a workshop culminating in a performance under the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree.
- October 14, 2019: New Choir Directory entries for ensembles in New Rochelle: a listing for the Choir at St. John's Wilmot Episcopal Church and a listing for Vocal Ensemble Laboratory, a workshop and networking group.
- October 7, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Brooklyn Outlaw Chorus.
- October 5, 2019: We've made a change to the way we recognize and acknowledge Sustaining Membership contributions. Starting with the 2019-20 season (which for us began on September 1, 2019), we will differentiate contributions made in the current season from those made in the past. We appreciate the support we've received since 2001 and will continue to list past Sustaining Members on our Sustaining Membership page and (for ensembles) on the home page. And we've established a new category to recognize contributions during the current season. We hope that those of you who continue to find value in Vocal Area Network will consider a current-season Sustaining Membership contribution.
- September 10, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Lux Mea Women's Chorus, based on the Upper West Side.
- August 31, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Montclair Community Chorus
- August 27, 2019: Some enhancements for the Choir Directory. We've added tags to more clearly indicate youth choirs and choirs that require no auditions. And you can now more easily filter on those criteria, too.
- August 27, 2019: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The KSVS Voice Ensemble, based in midtown.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of the following Sustaining Member ensembles for the current season:
Riverside Choral Society
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the past support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, Cantori New York, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Cerddorion, Chelsea Song, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society, The Stonewall Chorale,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Choral Chameleon, Chorus 802,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, Nikolai Kachanov Singers, North River Sing, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.