PROJECT : ENCORE™ and a century mark encore!
Two years ago, PROJECT : ENCORE™
(P:E) announced that it had surpassed the century mark with the number of scores
in its online Catalog of Contemporary Choral Music. Today, the P:E
Catalog, growing in reputation for its stringently evaluated content, is proud
to announce that it now represents more than 100 composers and over 150 choral compositions.
In the rapidly changing world of music discovery and distribution, performance
and evaluation, PROJECT : ENCORE is a user-friendly, deeply searchable resource
for new choral music that has been blindly vetted by an international panel of
renowned conductors. Because just over half of the works submitted are received into the Catalog,
acceptance is a significant endorsement. Compositions included span a wide
spectrum of voicing, scoring, length and levels of difficulty.
Archive of old VAN Features
Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- The St. Michael's Choir program--adult choir, high school and kids--will journey to France for a ten-day tour July 2-12, with visits to and performances in Normandy, the Loire Valley and Paris. Repertoire for the tour features three premieres of compositions written for the St. Michael's Choir by Choirmaster John Cantrell and by singing members Bill Heigen and Steve Friedman. (2015-6-30)
- Read about the Oratorio Society of New York's successful auction fundraiser in the latest blog post by Jacob Levine on Chorus Connection. (2015-6-30)
- This year's Make Music New York festival on June 21 offers two intriguing participatory events for singers: "Bach and Sons" and "Circlesongs." Read about them in the Info Exchange. (2015-6-15)
- The second Yale International Choral Festival takes place on the campus of Yale University in New Haven, CT from June 16 to June 20. Ensembles in 2015 will include Sweden's Voces Nordicae, Cuba's Entrevoces, the National University of Singapore Choir and the Jerusalem Youth Chorus, along with the Yale Choral Artists and the Yale Alumni Chorus. (2015-6-11)
- The Masterwork Chorus has announced the appointment of Dr. Christopher Shepard as its new music director. He joins the chorus in September 2015 as it launches its sixtieth anniversary celebration. (2015-6-11)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- July 22, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Brooklyn Sweet Adelines Chorus.
- May 31, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Downtown Voices, a new semi-professional choir based at Trinity Wall Street.
- May 20, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the First Presbyterian Church of Freehold Chancel Choir.
- May 8, 2015: New link for Conduct, an intelligent scheduling app for professional musicians.
- April 28, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Unsettled Scores, a new community choir based in the Gramercy area specializing in rock and pop music.
- April 23, 2015: New link for Interkultur, "the world's leading organizer of
international choir competitions and festivals since 1988." New link for Chorus Connection, a site offering easy online tools for managing choirs.
- April 15, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the New York Cabaret Club.
- April 10, 2015: New links for QuitDay, about the effects of smoking on singing, and the American Lung Association. New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Schiller Institute Community Chorus, a community chorus based in Midtown.
- March 15, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Suffolk County-based Huntington Men's Chorus.
- March 4, 2015: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Island Hills Chorus, a chapter of Sweet Adelines International in Hauppauge, NY.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach
your group. To arrange for Mark's services, e-mail Colette
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of
the following Sustaining Member ensembles:
The Dessoff Choirs, Grace Church Choral
Society, The West Village
Big Apple Chorus, The Brooklyn Community Chorus,
The Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus,
The Canby Singers, The Cecilia Chorus of New York, Dalton Chorale,
Florilegium Chamber Choir,
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers,
Riverside Choral Society,
St. George's Choral Society,
Schola Cantorum on Hudson,
The Stonewall Chorale
The Babylon Chorale,
C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective,
Cantabile Chamber Chorale,
Christ Church Choir,
Douglas Frank Chorale,
Down Town Glee Club, Greater Nassau Chorus,
Lehman College and Community Chorus,
New Amsterdam Singers,
The New Choral Society,
New York Choral Society, The Peace of Heart Choir, Renaissance Street Singers,
Renaissance Vocal Ensemble,
Riverdale Choral Society,
Russian Chamber Chorus of New York,
St. James' Compostela Choir, St. Paul's Englewood,
Sing We Enchanted, Uncommon Chord,
Voices of New York, Women Singing
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.