Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- Mark Mangini, music director of the Greenwich Village Chamber Singers for over forty years, passed away on September 5 after a brave battle with pancreatic cancer. (2021-10-3)
- Harmonium Choral Society has announced the hiring of its first executive director, Jody Marcus. (2021-9-22)
- ALERT: Some nefarious party purporting to be Vocal Area Network is sending e-mail solicitions "requesting gift card donations to assist Veterans at hospice care." This is a known scam of the gift card variety. Please discard these e-mails and report the actual sender to the appropriate authorities if you can. One such place is the FTC's fraud reporting site at reportfraud.ftc.gov/. These e-mails are from neither Steve Friedman nor Vocal Area Network. (2021-9-19)
- West Side Rag has a nice article about New York City Encore Chorale, part of Encore Creativity for Older Adults. (2021-8-26)
- The Greenwich Village Chamber Singers have announced that long-time music director Mark Mangini has stepped down due to an extended illness. Alec Galambos, music director of Khorikos, will serve as interim conductor through spring 2022. (2021-8-26)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- September 13, 2021: We've made another tweak to how we differentiate between current and past Sustaining Members. Current Sustaining Members will be those who have contributed within the past twelve months. Past Sustaining Members will be those whose most recent contribution occurrred more than a year ago. Hope that makes things clearer.
- August 26, 2021: The BVS Women's Choir is now the Brooklyn Treble Choir.
- August 5, 2021: New link for NYC Choral Freelancers, a Facebook group dedicated to all those who toil in the fine professional choral ensembles of NYC.
- July 12, 2021: We've done our periodic (but perhaps not frequent enough) cleanup of links and sites in our Links Collection. Please let us know if you find links that are dead or in need of updating.
- July 8, 2021: New link under "Tools" in the Links Collection for ScanScore, a utility to scan, play and edit sheet music.
- June 10, 2021: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for The St. Luke and St. Matthew Church Choir in Brooklyn.
- May 26, 2021: The Jewish People’s Philharmonic Chorus / JPPC is now
The Yiddish Philharmonic Chorus.
- April 8, 2021: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad (detailing their upcoming Summer Intensive) for the Westchester Children's Chorus, based in Larchmont.
- April 1, 2021: New link for Fides Cantat, a choral festival for chamber and youth choirs up to 40 singers in Wittenberg, Germany scheduled for June 2022.
- March 8, 2021: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Putnam Chorale Youth Chorus.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire or enhance your look on your next Zoom call? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of the following Sustaining Members
who have contributed during the past twelve months:
Cantori New York (Silver)
Florilegium Chamber Choir
New Amsterdam Singers
Renaissance Street Singers
Ms. Robin Lynne Frye
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the past support of
the following Sustaining Members:
Mark & Cindy Allen; Americas Vocal Ensemble; AmorArtis; Amuse; The Babylon Chorale; Meredith Elaine Baker; Mr. Jeffrey Becker; Big Apple Chorus; The Brooklyn Community Chorus; Brooklyn Contempoary Chorus; Brooklyn Philharmonia Chorus; Mr. Bruce Bush; C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective; Mary Ellen Callahan; The Canby Singers; Cantabile Chamber Chorale; Cantori New York; Ms. Marie Caruso; Cerddorion; Chelsea Song; Choral Chameleon; Chorus 802; Christ Church Choir; Ms. Phyllis Clark; Ms. Jean Cooper; Dalton Chorale; Mark Davies; The Dessoff Choirs; Douglas Frank Chorale; Down Town Glee Club; Jack Eppler; Anonymous; Martha Fleischman; Florilegium Chamber Choir; Mr. Albert L. Friedman; Ms. Robin Lynne Frye; Ms. Susan Gardiner; Mr. Gary Giardina; Mr. John Daly Goodwin; Grace Church Choral Society; Greater Nassau Chorus; The Greenwich Village Singers; Mr. John Hetland; Ms. Christine Hoffman; Holy Apostles Community Chorus; Ms. Mary Homan; Jennifer Howald; Hudson Valley Singers; Mr. Steve Lanser; Ms. Grace Lee, New York Choral Society; Mr. Robert Mobsby; John Morariu; Ms. Barbara E. Morgan; Mr. Robert Murtha; Anonymous; New Amsterdam Singers; The New Choral Society; New York Choral Society; New York City Community Chorus at Holy Apostles; Mr. Roger Nierenberg; Nikolai Kachanov Singers; North River Sing; Mr. Gerald Osterberg; Mr. Robert Pace; Ms. Nancianne Parrella; The Peace of Heart Choir; Renaissance Street Singers; Renaissance Vocal Ensemble; Mr. Stephen Ringlee; Riverdale Choral Society; Riverside Choral Society; Mr. Jacques Rizzo; Russian Chamber Chorus of New York; Ms. Sharon Lee Ryder; The Sacred Music Chorale of Richmond Hill, NY; Sacrum Convivium; The St. Cecilia Chorus; St. George's Choral Society; St. James' Compostela Choir; St. Paul's Church; Schola Cantorum on Hudson; Mr. Neal Siegal; Mr. Frederick Siegmund; Sing We Enchanted; The Stonewall Chorale; Teaneck Community Chorus; Nancy Tooney; Anonymous; Uncommon Chord; Mr. Dayle Vander Sande, The Aria Chorus; Ms. Judith Vincent; Voices of New York; Mr. Laurence Weller; The West Village Chorale; Women Singing; Matthew Workman; Ms. Wendy Zuckerman, in memory of Nancy Poor
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.