Want to see more coverage of the vocal ensemble
community? You can help! See your feature article here. You'll gain
valuable exposure as a writer about vocal ensemble music and your group
will benefit from the PR. Submit
proposals for approval to the editor.
VAN welcomes news of interest to the
vocal ensemble community.
stories to the editor
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has an article about the retirement of Amy Kaiser as director of the St. Louis Symphony Chorus after 27 seasons. Prior to her St. Louis appointment, Amy was an active part of choral life in New York, where she was music director of the Dessoff Choirs and the Mannes Chamber Singers, a teacher at the Manhattan School of Music, guest conductor for the Metropolitan Opera and principal conductor of the 92nd Street Y’s school concert series. She also prepared choruses for the New York Philharmonic and the Mostly Mozart Festival. (2022-5-11)
- Encore Creativity for Older Adults, the nation’s largest choral organization for adults over 55, will celebrate its 15th anniversary with a special concert honoring founder Jeanne Kelly at the renowned Music Center at Strathmore in North Bethesda, MD, on Saturday, May 14 at 3 PM. Ten singers from the New York City Encore Chorale will be participating. For more information, visit www.strathmore.org/what-s-on/in-the-music-center/encore-creativity-15th-anniversary-celebration/. (2022-4-30)
- The Greenwich Village Chamber Singers have appointed Michael Sheetz as music director, beginning July 2022. (2022-4-28)
- Trinity Church has fired its music director, Julian Wachner, after accusations of misconduct. Read the Times story for more details. (2022-3-17)
- Babylon: Ghetto, Renaissance and Modern Oblivion, an early-music film written and directed by Salon/Sanctuary Concerts founder and artistic director Jessica Gould, took home the prize for best picture at the Asti International Film Festival. For more about the movie, visit www.babylonfilm.net/. (2021-12-31)
Archive of old
Subscribe to VANupdate. Receive twice-monthly updates about
new content on Vocal Area Network. Get the latest news items,
upcoming vocal ensemble events, the most recent postings to the
VAN Concert Calendar, new site features and updates to Choir
Auditions, the Choir Directory and the Info Exchange.
The latest additions to the site's
content and features.
- July 25, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for Larchmont Madrigals, a newly-formed group in Larchmont, NY.
- July 15, 2022: In the interest of more secure web-browsing, all visitors to Vocal Area Network will now be redirected to the https:// version of the site.
- June 1, 2022: We've cleaned up some listings in the Choir Directory. Thanks to Merve Ciplak for identifying a handful of ensembles that are no longer active.
- May 19, 2022: New Choir Directory listing for The Brasiles Ensemble, an a cappella quintet based in Garrison, NY.
- May 4, 2022: New Choir Directory listing for the St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church Choir in Baldwin, NY.
- January 26, 2022: New link for Singing and You, Gretchen Greenfield's site devoted to learning how to sing better.
- January 13, 2022: New Choir Directory listing and Choir Auditions ad for the Catskill Choral Society, based in Oneonta, NY.
- November 18, 2021: Ensembles come, ensembles, go. And when they go, they usually don't let us at Vocal Area Network know of their demise. If you come across listings for groups that seem no longer to be extant, please drop me a note at email@example.com and let me know. Thanks to Merve Ciplak for identifying five or six groups in the no-longer-active category.
- September 13, 2021: We've made another tweak to how we differentiate between current and past Sustaining Members. Current Sustaining Members will be those who have contributed within the past twelve months. Past Sustaining Members will be those whose most recent contribution occurrred more than a year ago. Hope that makes things clearer.
- August 26, 2021: The BVS Women's Choir is now the Brooklyn Treble Choir.
old "New on VAN" items
See also the Info
- Need some exquisite beaded jewelry to complement your concert
attire or enhance your look on your next Zoom call? Or perhaps a distinctive gift for that special singer in your
life? Or maybe you'd like to host a jewelry show to benefit your
favorite non-profit organization? Try Carnelian
Knoll, where you'll find necklaces, bracelets and earrings of
vintage beads and silver handcrafted by Julie Siegmund.
- Looking for rehearsal space or performance venues? Try NYC
Music Spaces, part of Fractured Atlas's SpaceFinder NYC database of available rehearsal
and performance spaces for instrumental and vocal musicians. You'll find
places to rent, from studios to large venues, for classical, jazz,
rock--whatever you need to rehearse or perform in NYC.
- Looking for an outstanding vocal ensemble coach? Mark
Johnson, possessor of an amazing ear and terrific
interpretive insights in a variety of styles, is available to coach your
group. Contact Mark via e-mail.
- Liz Fleischer's Sight-Singing Program is offered each season
at the Kaufman Center (129
West 67th Street). Classes include ear-training, rhythm and pitch
reading, music theory, basic notation and terminology, with emphasis
on learning to hold a part with confidence. For more info, visit www.kaufman-center.org/lucyadults_mus_sight.htm,
or call (212) 501-3362. The sight-singing program is just one of the
classes offered by the Kaufman Center's Lucy
Your purchases from
our affiliate vendors help support VAN. VAN receives a referral
fee on everything you buy. Just click through from our site and
you'll be supporting VAN at no additional cost to you.
For our book and CD recommendations, visit the VAN
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the support of the following Sustaining Members
who have contributed during the past twelve months:
Cantori New York (Silver)
Chelsea Song (Silver)
Florilegium Chamber Choir (Silver)
Glen Ridge Choral Society
Greenwich Village Chamber Singers (Silver)
New York City Community Chorus at Holy Apostles
Renaissance Street Singers
Voices of New York
Ms. Marie Caruso
Mr. John Hetland
Vocal Area Network gratefully acknowledges the past support of
the following Sustaining Members:
Mark & Cindy Allen; Americas Vocal Ensemble; AmorArtis; Amuse; The Babylon Chorale; Meredith Elaine Baker; Mr. Jeffrey Becker; Big Apple Chorus; The Brooklyn Community Chorus; Brooklyn Contempoary Chorus; Brooklyn Philharmonia Chorus; Mr. Bruce Bush; C4: The World's First Choral Composer/Conductor Collective; Mary Ellen Callahan; The Canby Singers; Cantabile Chamber Chorale; Cantori New York; Ms. Marie Caruso; Cerddorion; Chelsea Song; Choral Chameleon; Chorus 802; Christ Church Choir; Ms. Phyllis Clark; Ms. Jean Cooper; Dalton Chorale; Mark Davies; The Dessoff Choirs; Douglas Frank Chorale; Down Town Glee Club; Jack Eppler; Anonymous; Martha Fleischman; Florilegium Chamber Choir; Mr. Albert L. Friedman; Ms. Robin Lynne Frye; Ms. Susan Gardiner; Mr. Gary Giardina; Mr. John Daly Goodwin; Grace Church Choral Society; Greater Nassau Chorus; Greenwich Village Chamber Singers; Mr. John Hetland; Ms. Christine Hoffman; Holy Apostles Community Chorus; Ms. Mary Homan; Jennifer Howald; Hudson Valley Singers; Mr. Steve Lanser; Ms. Grace Lee, New York Choral Society; Mr. Robert Mobsby; John Morariu; Ms. Barbara E. Morgan; Mr. Robert Murtha; Anonymous; New Amsterdam Singers; The New Choral Society; New York Choral Society; New York City Community Chorus at Holy Apostles; Mr. Roger Nierenberg; Nikolai Kachanov Singers; North River Sing; Mr. Gerald Osterberg; Mr. Robert Pace; Ms. Nancianne Parrella; The Peace of Heart Choir; Renaissance Street Singers; Renaissance Vocal Ensemble; Mr. Stephen Ringlee; Riverdale Choral Society; Riverside Choral Society; Mr. Jacques Rizzo; Russian Chamber Chorus of New York; Ms. Sharon Lee Ryder; The Sacred Music Chorale of Richmond Hill, NY; Sacrum Convivium; The St. Cecilia Chorus; St. George's Choral Society; St. James' Compostela Choir; St. Paul's Church; Schola Cantorum on Hudson; Mr. Neal Siegal; Mr. Frederick Siegmund; Sing We Enchanted; The Stonewall Chorale; Teaneck Community Chorus; Nancy Tooney; Anonymous; Uncommon Chord; Mr. Dayle Vander Sande, The Aria Chorus; Ms. Judith Vincent; Voices of New York; Mr. Laurence Weller; The West Village Chorale; Women Singing; Matthew Workman; Ms. Wendy Zuckerman, in memory of Nancy Poor
For more about how you or your ensemble can help defray the costs of providing VAN's services,
Sustaining Membership page.